Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Due for Surgery


My little Fawny is having surgery on Thursday. I have to take her to the vet Wednesday morning and leave her all alone to get IVs of fluids and vitamins. She recieved her "four year old birthday present" from Marshall's ---- Adrenal cancer. Kyra got it right after her 4th birthday. She started to loose her hair and get swollen down there, but maintained her energy and appetite. Fawn is much the same. She's the same old Fawn except for the hair lose; no swelling. I only hope her surgery is as successful as Kyra's. Kyra had both adrenal glands removed except for the tissue around that vein so necessary for life. We won't know how much Fawn needs removed until the vet gets in there. But I trust his judgment. I made sure to get the same vet to care for Fawn that cared for Kyra.


Kyra wrestling Fawn just days after surgery.

I keep thinking about when I came to visit Kyra after her surgery and they brought her to me in a towel. She looked awful. I could see she was in so much pain, but when she looked at me I could see how happy she was that her mommy was there. I held her and she put her head on my chest and nuzzled me. She was crying. This crying/whining sound I had never heard my baby ferret make before. I thought I had made the worse mistake of my life putting her through this.


"Maaaamm! Are you coming back in?"

When I came back the next day, she was not crying. I fed her out of my hand and she ate pretty well. The next day I took her home. She was very happy to see her sister fawn and walked around exploring. (We were actually at my brother's place, but that's a different long story.) By the end of the week she was climbing and jumping. Soon she was like "What surgery? I don't know what you're talking about." She had a full recovery. All her hair grew back! She doesn't even have a scar! She will be celebrating her 6th birthday at the end of this month!


Look how fluffy.

I hope everything goes well for Fawn. I just keep thinking of right after the surgery, and feel like I'm going to throw up :( Its so hard to hand her over at the vet's office. You know there's a chance its the last time. Ugh! My poor baby.

I love you Fawny!

1 comment:

  1. Your kids look so good. Rocket got the same four-year-old present. He turned four in February, I believe. I don't know when we'll do surgery. He just started losing his undercoat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails